- 1 cup dried fava beans, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cpu chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 2-3 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 red chili, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp baking soda
- sunflower oil for frying
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- lemon and yogurt
Drain the beans and chickpeas and place in a blender with the dried spices. Blend to a paste, then add the chili, onion, pepper, garlic, and herbs. Season well, then blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, beat in the baking soda, cover, and leave for 15 minutes.
With wet hands, mould the mixture into small, tight balls. Heat enough oil for deep frying in a pan and when it is hot enough, fry the balls in batches until golden brown. Drain the balls on paper towels and serve them warm, with lemon wedges and yogurt flavored with fresh mint.