1/2 x (up to)
2 1/2 cup Dry chick peas, selecting from large or small varieties as desired
Water to cover
When thoroughly roasted the peas should taste cooked, nutty and potato-like, not raw. Overcooked they become hard and burned. Taste as you go to get the hang of it. Because the peas are slightly moist inside, any not eaten the same day should be stored refrigerated.
Remember, these are a snack, but remember, they’re digested – or not like beans. So start with small amounts if you have trouble digesting beans.
Rinse dry chick peas and cover with water. Allow to soak overnight or at least 8 hours (see note). Drain peas.
STOVE TOP: Roast at medium low heat in a large skillet or home style coffee bean roaster, stirring constantly about 25 minutes for regular size chick peas, 15 to 20 minutes for the small ones.
OVEN: Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet and roast about 30 minutes at 350 degrees F for regular size chick peas, 20 minutes for the small ones. (I usually cover the pan with aluminum foil for the first 3/4 of the cooking time for either size of chick peas).
MICROWAVE: Put on microwave safe dish in a single layer. Microwave on high
(100 percent power). Depending on size of chick peas and your oven, microwaving takes 2 to 6 minutes. Taste to check for doneness.
VARIATION: For flavored roasted chick pea snacks add salt or a small amount of any of the following mixtures to the hot roasted peas immediately upon removing them from heat. The flavoring liquid needs to absorb into, or dry onto the peas – you don’t want the peas sitting in pools of liquid. Toss frequently as they cool and serve immediately, or refrigerate for later use.
1. Olive oil, garlic salt, black pepper and clipped rosemary leaves.
2. Soy sauce alone or mixed with Oriental (dark) sesame oil and hot chili powder.
3. Tomato juice and curry powder.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- arabic dry roasted chickpeas
- roasted cauliflower recipe lebanese
- roast chick peas tomato juice curry powder
- lebonese chick peas
- lebanese roasted cauliflower
- lebanese hot chick peas recipe
- lebanese curry recipes
- lebanese chicken with peas
- how to roast raw chick peas
- hot lebanese recipe chickpeas
- chickpea soup lebanese rosemary
- chickpea lebanese
- chick peas Lebanese
- chick pea lebanese recipe
- arabic snack with dry chick peas